Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology
How operating systems can do more and perform better
Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology (Intel® HT Technology)1 uses processor resources more efficiently, enabling multiple threads to run on each core. As a performance feature, Intel HT Technology also increases processor throughput, improving overall performance on threaded software.
Intel HT Technology is available on previous-generation Intel® Core™ processors, the 4th generation Intel® Core™ processor family, and the Intel® Xeon® processor family. By combining one of these Intel® processors and chipsets with an OS and BIOS supporting Intel HT Technology, you can:
- Run demanding applications simultaneously while maintaining system responsiveness
- Keep systems protected, efficient, and manageable while minimizing impact on productivity
- Provide headroom for future business growth and new solution capabilities
Intensive graphics without compromise
With Intel HT Technology, multimedia enthusiasts can create, edit, and encode graphically intensive files while running background applications, such as virus protection software, without compromising system performance.
More tasks, more efficient business
Processors with both Intel HT Technology and Intel® Turbo Boost Technology (or Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0, available in the 4th generation Intel Core processor family) deliver better performance and can complete tasks more quickly. The combination of technologies enables simultaneous processing of multiple threads, dynamically adapts to the workload, and automatically disables inactive cores. This increases processor frequency on the busy cores, giving an even greater performance boost for threaded applications.
Thanks to Intel HT Technology, businesses can:
- Improve productivity by doing more simultaneously without slowing down
- Provide faster response times for Internet and e-commerce applications, enhancing customer experiences
- Increase the number of transactions that can be processed simultaneously
- Utilize existing 32-bit application technologies while maintaining 64-bit future readiness
Assessing system readiness
Intel HT Technology is available on a variety of laptop, desktop, server, and workstation systems. Look for systems with the Intel HT Technology logo and verify with your system vendor that the system utilizes Intel HT Technology.
- A processor that supports Intel® HT Technology
- Intel® HT Technology enabled chipset
- Intel® HT Technology enabled system BIOS
- Intel® HT Technology enabled/optimized operating system
1. Available on select Intel® Core™ processors. Requires an Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology (Intel® HT Technology) enabled system. Consult your PC manufacturer. Performance will vary depending on the specific hardware and software used. For more information including details on which processors support HT Technology, visit www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/hyper-threading/hyper-threading-technology.html.